Monday, October 25, 2010

Rookie's

I know I haven't blogged in a while, but I suppose I thought there were fewer people reading it than there actually are. So here it goes.

It's a monday. I have waken up at 9 am and gotten breakfast, dressed in my freezing cold room, and went into the kitchen. I've made made myself yogurt and "cruesli" (crunchy müsli) for breakfast. I cycle with Courtney to school on the Heregracht. I arrive to school early, and I make a pot of tea. Students one by one ring the buzzer and we let them in. People help themselves to fruit and tea and coffee. Then there's some sort of lecture, or I have oral history workshops. At 12:30 is lunch, and then we cycle 5 blocks to Dutch class at 1:30.  I've finished dutch class by 4 and a friend of mine (Tab) and I might bike to Rookie's, our favorite coffeeshop in touristy/bar filled Leidseplein. I love it here for several reasons, but mainly for their free internet, cheap apple pie, and delicious fresh mint tea. I've finished my Dutch 'huiswerk', and now I begin to work on my ISP (or independent research project, aka the reason I'm here). Then I'll cycle home down the Marnixtraat with my new bike saddle bag, and I'll relax in my room and read some more of The English Patient. But most likely I will paint and listen to my Velvet Underground albums loud, on repeat. I'll most likely play piano while Irina cooks, inspiring her. She'll be clanking about in the kitchen, her sleek heeled books clacking on the floor as she sprinkles coriander into a pot of curry. During dinner Courntey, Irina and I will share food, light candles, and talk about anything from god to space to neuroscience to homeopathy to Marx to education politics to Taoism to synesthesia... For 2 hours. Then Irina asks me to make "one of your beautiful little teas" and then I'll have tea with her and go to bed and try really hard to get internet before I sleep.

So there's an ordinary day, I suppose. although I mix it up so often... Weekends I go to markets or museums, or I just walk or bike around the beautiful city. I eat all healthy foods, and eat dinner and breakfast every day at Irina's (except Friday). So I treat myself to fries or cake or falafel when I have to fend for myself for eating. But I feel like I've lost maybe 7 pounds or so. Even my bras are getting too big.

I think every day about how lucky and happy I am to be here.

Two nights ago I went out with Irina (host mom) to a bar to hear live flamenco music and to see her niece dance flamenco. It was very fun, and I had a long talk with the guitarist. I was surprised he came over and talked to me. He seemed to be in his late 20s, but anyway he was one of the BEST musicians I have EVER heard live. Including famous professionals.

Even though most of these girls and I don't get along, I'm happy to be on my own, or go out with Irina and her friends and previous students, and make contacts of my own. There is no reason to dislike a single day here, since it's almost half over.

No comments:

Post a Comment