Friday, September 3, 2010

Basel

Yesterday Liam and I (tried to wake up early and) went to Basel. We took a 55 minute train from Freiburg to Basel, Switzerland (or die Schweiz) which is the closest swiss city from here. Even though Liam explained that it's smaller than Freiburg,  it seemed larger and much more urban. And it was DEFINITELY more expensive, (5,40 CHF for a cappuchino? you kidding me?) but they can afford that price of living, so go them. The fashion I saw? meh. Kind of trashy, kind of borning. And they stared at me like no other. Even worse than the Germans. But that was the only negative thing I could see, because Basel is GORGEOUS.

We went to an Apotheke Museum and saw crazy animals in oil jars, lots of old powders and pestles and even old perfume vials which of course I loved. And I signed the guestbook in English to give them something to read for fun. Liam and I also ate our sandwiches that we packed earlier, right by the river, and I had some Holunder Saft which is my new favorite thing (Elderberry flower extract) and some chocolate, of course. We basically walked around and enjoyed the sunshine, and eventually found ourselves sitting on the Rhine looking at beautiful Basel and we decided to watercolor (using Rhine water). Liam also bought me a mouth harp (or Jew's harp, look it up on wiki) and we played around with those as well as his bubble pipe. The Swiss 30 somethings didn't like the bubbles so much, but their loss :) It was a good way to end our Basel trip.

Afterwards we came back home to Freiburg and ate thai at a really sweet restaurant (Reisgarten). The owner's baby was crawling adorably on the floor. We vicariously kissed her cheeks. Liam's friend Danielle called, so we went to a couch surfer's house and had a few beers and then went home. Tonight we'll bike to the Opfinger See and make a campfire and make smores. Pretty excited. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment