Sunday, September 12, 2010

Nesting

I suppose it's time for a blog post, since I'm finally settled in my host house. I've been here two days now, and my room is really perfect for me. Indian patterned bedspread, view of canal 4 floors below, wind when it's stormy, white walls and moroccan boxes. I love this place, but it's SUPER clean. Quite different than living with a girl and two boys who barely cleaned our shared bathroom. Irina (my artistic, short, fit, vegetarian, round glasses-wearing, aged, brown-haired host mother) is possibly cleaner than my Oma. Which is saying something. Even the floors in this apartment seem to be afraid of dust.

Which works for me! I have no problem keeping tidy when there's inspiration, and Nicole won't be here to keep me in check. But my housemate Courtney is silly and polite and we get along well. Tomorrow I have dutch class, I get my bike, and I sign up for UvA to use their computer lab and take classes. I already have an official ID (oooh la la).

But, I should recap. I spent my second week in europe with Liam, first in Freiburg and then in Amsterdam couchsurfing (where I think I got terribly welt looking bug bites, and they STILL itch me. On my hands, face, and legs.) We also visited Basel, which is so gorgeous... But after leaving Liam at Schripol Airport on Sep 6th, (he was so sweet my entire holiday!) I've been with 24 other students of the SIT (or School of International Training), a very large and successful field based global study abroad program. Three of the 25 students are named Sarah, four students are from AU, four are boys, and 24 are my friends. I seriously love everyone here- they're so happy to be studying sex in Amsterdam for four months, with week long trips to Croatia and Morocco. Really fantastic group of people.

I should go to sleep, it's very late and I have to figure out a bike rental and go to my first real Dutch class tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment